Thursday, October 19, 2006

Le Volcan

I just got back from three days hiking Piton de la Fournaise with 3 roomates, the volcano here on Réunion Island. Sadly, our timing was off and we hit three days of cold, cold rain and wind. Needless to say, visibility was limited. The hike itself did not pose too much of a problem, it was mostly the weather that made it difficult.

The volcano is currently 'en erruption,' so the top crater is roped off and several trails are closed. We climbed as high as we could go, looked into part of the crater and only saw a bit of steam, then redescended the lava plain. It is neat to see how different the landscape is: from large, smooth serpentine lava flows to black, holey, jagged rocks to 'lave cordée' that looks like cords of sticks or like when you pour cake mix into a pan (think of the folds). The rather barren, Martian landscape has few signs of life- only a rare lichen-type plant at the lower elevations.

The geologist in me emerged and it was all I could do to limit myself to bringing only two small rocks home with me.

We stayed in a gite, like a small mountain lodge, only we were the last to arrive so we got put out in the tent. It was solid enough to protect from the rain and wind, but still cold, and our soaked clothing and bodies would have liked a roaring fire and some hot cocoa.

My camera did not like the rainy hike and is currently refusing to work. Once I get it fixed I will post some photos. Dont expect much- think 'cloudy.'

No comments:

Post a Comment