Saturday, September 23, 2006

Technology problems, good news, and bad news

I am using a computer that cannot upload photos, so it will be a couple of days before I can post them.

Also, I am worried that the toilet does not actually flush in the opposite direction. Could someone please perform the scientific experiment of flushing a toilet (I know this is asking a lot) and please let me know whether the water spins clockwise or counter-clockwise? Thank you. Obviously this is quite important for me.

I have nice prospects on appartments. Also, in a week I have 2 weeks of vacation (haha) and I am off from 20 décembre until 30 janvier. Seriously 5 WEEKS OF VACATION in a row!!!

Please do not hate me.

4 comments:

  1. OK so here the water spins clockwise. I must say it's quite important for me too. A great mystery of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey katie-

    i'm really amused because i've chosen the same template for my blog and it's called moniinreunion.blogspot.com. See you in a few days!

    -monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- you little scientist you! The water here spins counter- clockise. But alas- it makes no difference. What you are thinking about is a misconception regarding the Coreolis effect. Here's a blurb from Wikipediea that desribes it.

    "A popular misconception is that the Coriolis effect determines the direction in which bathtubs or toilets drain, and whether water always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere. In reality, the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than other random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the sink, toilet, or tub; whether it is flat or tilted; and the direction in which water was initially added to it. Note that toilets typically are designed to only flush in one rotation, by having the flush water enter at an angle. If one takes great care to create a flat circular pool of water with a small, smooth drain; to wait for eddies caused by filling it to die down; and to remove the drain from below (or otherwise remove it without introducing new eddies into the water) – then it is possible to observe the influence of the Coriolis effect in the direction of the resulting vortex."

    God- am I just a science teacher- I don't hate you but I would give a small digit for 2 full days off!!

    Cheers and doodle hugs-

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so Science sucks. For once, there was something fun about it and now it's just a big fat lie

    ReplyDelete