Saturday, January 13, 2007

Back In Reunion, But Not For Long

Dear Friends and Family,

Happy New Year to all. 2007 promises many wonderful things ahead for all of us.

I returned home Monday, January 8 after a looong (12-hr)flight from Paris. I was been a bit grouchy the first few days and I could not tell if it was because I was tired, irritated at being back, missing my friends or what. Luckily my mood has improved the past couple of days. Returning "home" to St-Denis seems odd, but at the same time it is nice to come home and know everything: busses, markets, slow walkers, everything closed from nood to 2:30pm, etc. I spent some time with local friends which helped cheer me up and I also started swimming at the local pool (which I will talk about in another post).

I think the conclusion that I have come to about Réunion is that the novelty has worn off. This is not a vacation, this is normal life. It is hot, cultural differences once thought to be interesting or funny are now just annoying, and I miss my family and friends back home. I can still play the tourist, go to the beach, the markets, the mountains and all that, but I'm not about to return home (to a comfortable bed without a mosquito net and I don't have to search my room for spiders- also a coming post) before I sleep.

Luckily, the travel gods are smiling on me and I leave Monday the 15th for 10 fun-filled days exploring mauritius, our neighboring island to the East. Mauritius is renowned for its beaches, but I have also found some neat museums and activities (like a stamp museum, giant lily pads and an underwater walk) to see. I am headed to l'île Maurice with my friend Rachel, a really nice girl that I have met here. She is one of those friends that you meet and you click at once. She's a doll.

Ranting and raving done. Oh, wait, almost. I wanted to put up a few other Switzerland photos, but I erased them because I'm a dummy. Take care everyone and I'll be in touch. LOVE TO YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment