Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Asian Art!


I bought this painting at Ta Prom from a young (16? 18?) artist.  He was unlike any other vendor at the temples; he simply had his art out for display.  He didn't harass tourists, shout at you or convince you what a deal you were getting.  I noticed this picture right away as I climbed through the entryway of Ta Prom, in fact I thought it was a photograph.  I was sure then I would buy it.  The shy smile of pride and satisfaction on his face when I handed over the $18 USD is an image I will never forget.


This paper with Chinese characters was used as packing paper.  Just as we use old newspaper to wrap delicate objects, a pottery vendor used old calligraphy practice sheets to wrap the vase I bought (see below).  It makes me wonder if people in other countries frame old US newspapers.  I like that it was free!



No comments:

Post a Comment