Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gaufre, anyone?

Vocabulary 101: gaufre = waffle

I love this photo.

Belgian waffles are the ones with the giant squares that catch all that yummy syrup, Nutella, berries or whatever you put on your waffles. FYI, locals in Belgium just eat them plain, or maybe with a dusting of powdered sugar, or for a splurge, chocolate. Only tourists eat the cream-n-berry-topped-chololate-drizzled gaufres.


I've got to say that I was disappointed by the gaufres. My mom's are way better and I'm not just saying that. The first one was hard to bite into, hard to chew and was basically like sweet cardboard. I was almost releived, thinking, "Good! Now I don't feel obligated to eat all those calories! I've had my gaufre, now I'm done." Ha. In the spirit of second chances, I purchased a second gaufre (two days later) and it was seriously better, so of course I had to get a third (the following day, of course) for statistical purposes. The third was more like the first (disappointing), so after gaufre #3 I was done.

Little pet peeve of mine: they're not "Belgium" waffles, they're "Belgian" waffles, Belgium being the noun and Belgian being the adjective. After all, we don't say France Fries (though for a while "we" weren't even saying French Fries...).

No comments:

Post a Comment